> On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 10:01 PM Roberto Ierusalimschy <
> roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
>
> > If this issue is causing your program any real harm, please let us know.
>
> Well, I would not call this "real harm", but we do run debug builds that
> are linked against Lua with assertions enabled, so those false positives
> are a nuisance. I would like to continue having assertions in debug builds,
> so "turn them all off" is not a palatable solution to me.

Assertions in Lua are not intended for general use; they are there for
internal tests. You might have noticed that there is nothing related to
them in luaconf.h or in the makefile (unlike LUA_USE_APICHECK, which is
for general use). If you want to use them, that is fine, but you are on
your own.

-- Roberto