Hi, Sean.

Both systems report the same version.

cdx-dev:/home/rhedin/ctrace> lua -v

The ctrace I downloaded was this one.

http://webserver2.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/5.1/ctrace.tar.gz

Note the 5.1 in the path.

I wondered whether the version of the operating system could matter.  On the development machine:

cdx-dev:/home/rhedin/ctrace> cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.10 (Santiago)

On the QA machine, it says it's 6.7.  So they're not the same.  Important?

                            Regards, Rick

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:24 PM Sean Conner <sean@conman.org> wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Rick Hedin once stated:
> Earlier I inquired about the ctrace facility, that may be too old to still
> work.
>
> But my real problem is that my program panics when I run it on a different
> system.
>
> It runs fine when I run it on the development system.  But when I move it
> to the QA system, it panics.
>
> rcs-dev:/data1/rcs/bin> PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API ((null))
>
> PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (attempt to index a string
> value)
>
> PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (attempt to index a h� value)
>
> PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (attempt to index a string
> value)
>
> Both are Red Hat Enterprise Linux systems.  I built it on the development
> system, and just brought the executable image over to the QA system.
>
> How would you go about debugging something like this?

  I would start with making sure the versions of Lua are the same on both
systems.  And for "same version" 5.1.0 and 5.1.5 would be considered "the
same version" for all intended purposes.

  Also, ctrace only works for Lua versions 4.0 to 5.2, but the module needs
to be compiled with the proper version of Lua (which relates to making sure
what versions of Lua you are using).

  -spc