Indeed. It was 2001 and the "lucky" among us had a Pentium 4... Threads were mostly used to hide latency accessing the network, or the hard drive (or to keep the UI interactive during computations). Giving threads exclusive access to the Lua state while they were running Lua code was not absurd back then. I wanted to avoid modifying the Lua source code, so the only alternative was to use lua_lock and lua_unlock.

If I were working on LuaThread today, I would try to make it more functional (map/scan/reduce) or like OpenMP (with pragmas), and modify even the compiler. :)