From within a Lua process that has already launched, is there a way to
discover the *default* paths, especially package.cpath?

Context: I have to treat the LUA_CPATH environment variable as if it
were controlled by an adversary, and I do not have the ability to
launch Lua with the -E option.  My choices will be either to put some
kind of wrapper around my Lua binary or to launch a separate process
to determine the default path.  Neither of these choices is ideal.

A solution for 5.1 would be perfect, but if it's doable even using a
later version, I might be able to retrofit.

Any ideas?

Norman