From: lua-l-bounces@lists.lua.org <lua-l-bounces@lists.lua.org> On Behalf Of Oliver Kroth
Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 9:35 AM
To: lua-l@lists.lua.org
Subject: Re: websocket client lib with KEEPALIVE support

> I see a few lua websocket client libs out there. Please let me know if
> there is one with KEEPALIVE support that is recommended.

TCP keep-alive is to detect a broken connection. It can be enabled with the LuaSocket library and setsocket( 'keepalive', true ) WebSocket keep alive (PING - PONG) does the same two layers higher. This may be implemented in the WebSocket library or application.

The latter is the more reliable operation as TCP keep-alive may be spoofed by, e.g. routers.

--
Oliver