I see a few lua websocket client libs out there. Please let me know if there
is one with KEEPALIVE support that is recommended.

TCP keep-alive is to detect a broken connection. It can be enabled with the LuaSocket library and setsocket( 'keepalive', true ) WebSocket keep alive (PING - PONG) does the same two layers higher. This may be implemented in the WebSocket library or application.

The latter is the more reliable operation as TCP keep-alive may be spoofed by, e.g. routers.

--
Oliver