On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 12:39 PM Viacheslav Usov wrote:

Roberto, what stack size does Lua 5.3+ VM expect?
This information is essential for correct building Lua on Windows.

The question does not make much sense.

Does a question about VM crash make sense?

A thread's stack size is generally not a compile time constant on Windows.

The stack size must be known at link time on Windows.

In a typical application, the Lua VM is not the only and potentially not even a major user of stack.

Yes, of course, a host application developer should take into consideration both
"how much stack Lua VM needs" and "how much stack the application itself needs"

Finally, the use of stack solely by the Lua VM is highly application-specific.

Of course, stack usage of Lua VM depends on the application-specific Lua scripts.
I believed that Lua VM does guarantee to never crash the host application whatever Lua script is given.
We all do know that "Lua is portable"; but it appears that on some OS the default stack size (1MByte is quite sane value) might be not enough for Lua VM.
This problem would be easy-to-fix if we knew how much stack could Lua VM eat.
So, the question about guaranteed maximum of stack usage does make sense.