> I am talking about lua5.4 work2. In fact it can't be reproduced on gcc or lua5.3.

Lua avoids stack overflows by counting the number of recursive calls
it makes. The constant LUAI_MAXCCALLS sets this limit, but it is hard
to find the "perfect" value for each system. Can you play with
this constant (either with -DLUAI_MAXCCALLS=<somevalue> or changing
its value in 'llimits.h' or anything equivalent) and tells us
which is the maximum value where the crash becomes a regular Lua
error?

Many thanks,

-- Roberto