On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 8:36 AM Coda Highland <chighland@gmail.com> wrote:
I disagree with introducing special meaning to consecutive such
symbols. If they're supposed to be "ignore me" symbols then they
should be, y'know, ignored. Which means the second one should be
ignored the same as the first one.

I don't see a point in your objection.
Following your logic, if "minus" symbol means "unary negation", then two consecutive minuses must mean "unary negation and one more unary negation"?
Right?  :-)
Is there big difference between "minus" and "backtick"?  :-)
Do you want to say that some composite lexems ( --  <<  >>  ::  .. ) are confusing because their meaning don't match the meaning of symbols they are consisted of?