Op Di. 4 Des. 2018 om 03:37 het Petite Abeille
<petite.abeille@gmail.com> geskryf:

> “I apologize for such a long letter - I didn't have time to write a short one.”
>
> ― Mark Twain

Mark Twain never wrote that. [1]

The original version is in Pascal's Provincial Letters [2]. Very few
authors can be quite as turgid as a mathematician writing to Jesuits
on a subtle religious point [3]. Letter XVI is particularly good
bedtime reading, if your purpose is dropping off soon. Its second-last
paragraph, proving its own point, starts:

> Reverend fathers, my letters were not wont either to be so prolix, or to follow so closely on one another. Want of time must plead my excuse for both of these faults. The present letter is a very long one, simply because I had no leisure to make it shorter.

[1] https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/28/shorter-letter/
[2] Full text of M'Crie's 1886 translation, from which I quote, is
widely available online.
[3] Or a philosopher posting to the Lua list on a subtle programming point.