> On Nov 29, 2018, at 2:53 PM, Philippe Verdy <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>

> So I think it will be quite slow (and not easy to integrate to communicate complex Lua structures made with tables with possible cyclic references)

We handled that with out own high-performance table pack/unpack logic, including arbitrary graphs of tables, string interning and support for closure passing as well. Developed a pretty efficient algorithm (in C) which ended up giving us all the performance we needed. In fact, we ended up using the packed format (which was a compact binary form) as a network wire format AND a persistence format, so every part of the system saved/exchanged data in one well-defined format.

—Tim