it's rather impractical: there are huge semantic differences between how they work.

e.g.

local _ENV = ...
function foo()
_ENV = ...
end
function bar()
print(foo)
end

This is impossible in Lua 5.1.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2018, 19:56 Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me add some Lua 5.1
compatibility features to Lua 5.3 in my Ravi-Distro package.

I include Lua 5.3.5 in the distro with these enhancements:

* The LuaJIT bit library is included
* All available 5.1 and 5.2 compatibility options are enabled,
including LUA_COMPAT_FLOATSTRING .

These compatibility options enable Lua 5.3 to run LuaJIT's dynasm tool
for instance.

However I would like to improve backwards compatibility with Lua 5.1
even further; in particular would like to add support for fenv(). But
I have never used Lua 5.1, and despite good intentions, haven't been
able to work on this aspect. I would very much appreciate any help.

Thanks and regards
Dibyendu