On 10 Nov 2018, at 13:51, Norman Ramsey <nr@cs.tufts.edu> wrote:

I have a large installed based of Lua 5.1 code (about 75,000 lines),
and I've recently found it useful to write Lua code that is a lot
like Make rules.  This code needs to rebuild files when the code
itself has changed, so I need to get a timestamp on the file in
which the code lives.  I see that in Lua 5.3, there are facilities
like `package.searchpath` and an extension to `require` (relative to 5.1)
that can pass an extra parameter.  Can anyone suggest a way to
replicate this functionality in 5.1?

Norman

I don’t know if it's of any help, but there is a pure-lua implementation of ‘require’ available. I think by Rob Hoelz. You might be able to adapt those?

Here’s one: https://github.com/pygy/require.lua

But this is the one I was looking for: https://github.com/hoelzro/lua-procure

Thijs