Op Wo., 31 Okt. 2018 om 16:00 het Hisham <h@hisham.hm> geskryf:

> On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 03:21, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Op Wo., 31 Okt. 2018 om 01:57 het Hisham <h@hisham.hm> geskryf:
> >
> > > This is a quick announcement that version 3.0.4 of LuaRocks, the Lua
> > > package manager, has been tagged and uploaded to the usual locations.
> > > You can find all links at https://luarocks.org — source packages for
> > > all supported platforms and binaries for Windows and Linux x86-64 are
> > > available.
> >
> > This is not criticism, it's just a comment from a Lua user, one that
> > has never lamented Lua's lack of a Python-like ecosystem.
> >
> > What I miss most about version 3 is a seamless transition from version
> > 2.2. I understand that 'luarocks install luarocks' cannot work,
> > building from source has so far also eluded me, but a binary for Linux
> > x86-64 might be painless, I hoped.
> >
> > I unzipped it into a directory not in $PATH, and tried
> >
> > $ /usr/local/src/PACKAGES/luarocks-3.0.4-linux-x86_64/luarocks list
> >
> > Rocks installed for Lua 5.3
> > ---------------------------
> > $
>
> Looking at the bright side, I'm happy that the binary did run in your
> system without any library clashes. :)
>
> > I.e. it does not find my 33 existing rocks.
>
> Where are they installed?

In /usr/local/lib/luarocks/rocks/

> But I think adding a warning message when an unversion l
> ib/luarocks/rocks dir is found would be a big improvement.

Not just that, a hint like the one below. And no, I can't be sure all
those are actually 5.3 rocks.

> If your rocks tree lives at /usr/local/lib/luarocks/rocks or
> $HOME/.luarocks/rocks, I believe simply renaming the "rocks" directory
> to "rocks-5.3" should make LuaRocks 3 pick it up. Could you give that
> a try?

Yes, it works, thanks.

> Out of curiosity, what are the contents of
> /usr/local/etc/luarocks/config-5.3.lua ?

rocks_trees = {
   { name = [[user]], root = home..[[/.luarocks]] },
   { name = [[system]], root = [[/usr/local]] }
}

Now that the binary works, can it be used to install itself as a rock?

-- Dirk