> It has solved the problem of retrieving unassigned globals. It's
> called 'strict.lua'. It's not in the distribution. Maybe it should be.
> But Penlight and stdlib both supply it.
>
> It has not solved the problem of mind-reading the programmer. If you
> have variables x1 and xi, and by accident type xi when you mean x1,
> not even strict.lua will complain.

strict.lua will also not complain if you write '<' instead of '>', or
'<' instead '<=', or '+1' instead of nothing, or nothing istead of '+1',
etc. In my view, they are all in the same category of typos in
indentifiers, and very few languages detect them (coq?). OTOH,
Enrico's sect seems to cure that, too.

(Actually, there is a difference. A main issue here is what kind
of errors people expect, and that depends heavly from where those
people come from. For instance, some people look after non-intialized
variables when seeing random values in a program, some people do not.)

-- Roberto