On Mon, Jul 30, 2018, 19:33 Sean Conner, <sean@conman.org> wrote:
It was thus said that the Great dyngeccetor8 once stated:
> On 07/31/2018 12:00 AM, Sean Conner wrote:
> > [...]  I line up sequential
> > assignments in my code:
> >
> >     local iostream =
> >     {
> >       close     = close,
> >       flush     = flush,
> >       lines     = lines,
> >       read      = read,
> >       seek      = seek,
> >       setvbuf   = setvbuf,
> >       write     = write,
> >
> >       _readf    = accumulate_data,
> >       _readbuf  = "",
> >       _writebuf = "",
> >       _sock     = conn,
> >       _remote   = remote,
> >       _pollset  = nfl.SOCKETS,
> >       _eof      = false,
> >     }
> >
> >   That works for me; it probably doesn't work for anybody else.  That's my
> > habits from Assembly language past showing here.
>
> Good luck with renaming field to identifier with different length.

  Oh, I am fully aware of the downsides and am willing to live with the
results.  LIke I said, it works for me, probably not for everybody but I'm
not the one saying "I'm doing it right; all'y'all are doing it wrong."

> Looks like we're off-topic here and just criticizing others habits
> while showing ours. So lets continue!
>
> I've discovered my median Lua chunk size is about 12 lines (with 70
> chars limit and 2-space indent). That's to talk about "screens".

  I don't bother with function length, it takes as long as it takes (some
three lines of code, I have one that is 637 lines long, but it's valdiating
a message with a ton of comments about each validation (with links to
trouble tickets, standards, references, etc).  I have no idea what my
average length of function is.

As far as width goes, I try to keep it under 78 characters, but I don't
stress about it.  If a line gets to about 90+ or so, I'll probably break it
up across multiple lines.

> I use upvalues mostly in recursive functions (where you can't call
> itself without previous declaration).

  With the Y-combinator you can:

        function Y(f)
          local function g(...) return f(g,...) end
          return g
        end

        print(Y(function(rec, x) if x < 2 then return 1 else return x * rec(x-1) end end)(5))

> And separate almost any "function" statement as separate module.
> That is why I was need relative require().

  I'm not sure I understand this.

  -spc

I also like to line things up into columns when I can. Makes it look neat. The downside is sometimes having to move things when adding/renaming fields, but with an editor that can edit multiple lines at once it's not too bad. (Perhaps I should write a plugin to do it automatically?)

As far as "screens", I stick to 80 columns, 25 rows as a rule of thumb. That way I can fit several editor panes on the screen and it helps stop me from making functions too long. It may not be a physical constraint nowadays but it's still a good rule.