On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:16 AM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
I write many functions like the following:

function fun(_ENV)
  return x^2+y+2<=r^2
end

Tihs proposal will break my programs by forcing me to write that second line as

  return \x^2+\y+2<=\r^2

This new feature is optional, so it can not break any of your programs.
Lua stay 100% compatible with all your old code (and with your habit to use _ENV in every function).

As I said in Question#3 (please re-read it), this new source format is not suitable for all situations.
If it is useful - use it.
If it isn't useful - don't use it.
Your attitude is quite egoistic: you are requesting that all Lua features would be useful for you.
While lots of users would have benefits from "backslashed style", you could ignore its existence if you want.

Let me repeat it once more: the feature being discussed DOES NOT BREAK ANYTHING.