[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- Subject: [ANN] Ravi (a Lua 5.3 dialect) Alpha Release 0.24 with LLVM and Eclipse OMR JIT compilation support
- From: Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@...>
- Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 21:19:25 +0100
Ravi (http://ravilang.org) is a dialect of Lua 5.3 with LLVM and
Eclipse OMR based JIT compilers and limited optional static typing. I
am pleased to announce that the alpha 0.24 release of Ravi is now
available. Additionally, work is ongoing on creating a distribution of
Ravi that includes high quality third-party libraries
This release is aligned with Lua 5.3.4.
The main highlight of this release is that a new JIT backend based on
[a customized version of Eclipse
OMR](https://github.com/dibyendumajumdar/nj) has been added. Note that
this is in development and this is an early preview release.
The main advantages of the new Eclipse OMR JIT backend are:
* It is much smaller in size compared to LLVM
* It was designed to be a JIT rather than an AOT compiler
* Like LLVM it is an optimizing JIT compiler
* It is under active development and battle tested as part of the OpenJ9 project
For further details on how to build Ravi with Eclipse OMR support please visit:
For general information regarding Ravi please visit:
All feedback welcome!
Thanks and Regards