On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:16 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy <roberto@inf.puc-rio.br> wrote:
As I already explained, the more you insist on 'with', the less I like
the general idea. If 'with' is really superior to 'local scoped', there
is something I am not understanding correctly about the whole stuff. I
will not try to solve a problem I am not understanding.

I'm far for insisting on "with".  Everything I've written on scope hooks since the gems chapter footnote has presented scoped variables as viable.

I raised "with" again here because it's purely syntax sugar given scoped vars, and doesn't implicate the C API.  If the sugar doesn't look like a good value from this vantage point, I can respect that view.