> On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:16 AM, Dirk Laurie wrote:
>>
>> I write many functions like the following:
>>
>> function fun(_ENV)
>>   return x^2+y+2<=r^2
>> end
>>
>> Tihs proposal will break my programs by forcing me to write that second
>> line as
>>
>>   return \x^2+\y+2<=\r^2
>>

> This new feature is optional, so it can not break any of your programs.

This is not obvious from the formulation

"A programmer must explicitly (by means of special syntax) say to
compiler whether each variable reference is global or not."

past which I did not read. If the proposal had been:

"A programmer may request the compiler to enforce the specification
(by means of special syntax) whether a variable reference is global or
not."

it would have been obvious that the feature is optional.