 >  And this is trivial to implement: just edit lctype.c.

I don't think it is just as trivial as you expect.

The unicode code point 0xA0 encoded as UTF-8 becomes the 2 bytes 0xC2 0xA0.
In my suggestion, Lua should handle those 2 bytes just like UTF-8 handles it, as just one code point/character.

--
Alysson Cunha / AlyssonRPG
http://www.rrpg.com.br - Jogue o tradicional RPG de mesa online