What's LUA anyways? o_0

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 6:11 PM, Alysson Cunha <alyssonrpg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> However the correct space character is 0x20 (32).

This is what I am telling.. What? Who said that 0x20 is the correct space character? Answer: ASCII

But in Unicode, we have more than 1 "correct space character", because it is Unicode, not ASCII... So, current LUA version does not support unicode characters.

By miracle, if you do not use the "wrong" unicode characters, LUA accept it, because UNICODE was made to be backward compatible with ASCII till some point

Note: Using the public unicode character database it's easy to handle all white space characters of unicode.

On Sat, Jul 7, 2018 at 12:02 PM Matthew Wild <mwild1@gmail.com> wrote:
On 7 July 2018 at 15:54, Alysson Cunha <alyssonrpg@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am raising the question: Should the future Lua 5.5 have unicode support?
> Since a lot (a lot a lot) encoding issues were solved with unicode and we
> are observing an international trend for the utf-8 use....

I think you're missing the points that have been raised.

I work with Lua and Unicode every day. My files are UTF-8 encoded.

However the correct space character is 0x20 (32). Other space
characters are not valid according to the language syntax, and
allowing others would be a horrible mess. For example would you also
include zero-width spaces?

Just because there are other space characters available does not mean
Lua needs to accept them. It's similar to making an argument that Lua
should accept 'lõçál' as equivalent to 'local'. The characters are not
the same, even if they are related.

Regards,
Matthew

--