Hi,

There is a research lab that is responsible for the language. The development is done by them. The GitHub repository is just one of the copies of the source code being shared. Lua has MIT license, so you can fork the repository and modify the code as you wish. But contributions don't happen there. People can make suggestions, contributions and report issues through this email list.