Hello Dirk,

> It is not always a virtue to keep quiet. “The only thing necessary for
> the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

OK, since you ask for it, I think the only good idea to be drawn from this discussion is that it would be nice if, in Lua 5.2+, there would be stock means of statically detecting use of globals after an explicit local _ENV=nil (possibly a tough job). I'm using a MetaLua-based static analyzer though in Lua 5.1 use of globals can be detected using a simple shell script. So where does this put me? Likely in the "don't care" bin?

As much as I like the quote, I like using right tools for the job, so you could set up an online poll or something to reduce traffic...

Best regards,

--
DoubleF