On 10 April 2018 at 22:22, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
> Today I came across an article on lobste.rs [1] about a promising new
> Desktop application for Slack [2]. This application is written in Node.JS,
> so why does that concern this list? Well, it turns out the library used for
> the GUI [3] is also available for C++... and Lua!
>
> The author ships .so binaries in the GitHub releases sections that work
> with the standard Lua 5.3 interpreter. I tried it on Linux and it worked
> on the first try, except for a few issues in sample code that I will try
> to get fixed.
>
> There are sample applications in another repository [4], the "browser"
> and "drawing" apps are written in Lua.
>
> The license is apparently LGPL, and it can be licensed under MIT for a fee.
>
> [1] https://lobste.rs/s/bpigl2/wey_fast_open_source_slack_desktop_app
> [2] https://github.com/yue/wey
> [3] http://libyue.com
> [4] https://github.com/yue/yue-sample-apps
>
> --
> Pierre Chapuis

Seems very interesting!

I attempted to decode the build process, but it is very complex and
wrapped up in node.js scripts that download extra pieces.
Sadly this meant I couldn't really figure out how to compile it
myself; and hence can't create a proper package :(

Lacking that, I created a very simple binary AUR package.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lua-yue-bin/