Am 03.04.2018 um 15:02 schrieb Ahmed Charles:
Written before I was born, EWD831 (http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/EWD/transcriptions/EWD08xx/EWD831.html) describes why 0 based ranges are superior better than I can. It has nothing to do with programming languages and everything to do with math.
Actually, Dijkstra just prefers to have items counted like 0,...,N-1 instead of 1,...,N
odd.

When I count things, let's say, cows, I start with the first cow and say "one", second cow "two",  third cow counted "three"... I would not start with the first cow and say "zero", I say "zero" when there is no cow at all.
A zero-th cow is the cow in the empty corral, and actually "not a cow"...

--
Oliver