On 4/1/2018 3:17 AM, Coda Highland wrote:
On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:37 AM, KHMan wrote:
Coders who think indices cause problems should abstract it away in some sort
of container or object, like the range loops that Stroustrup recommends in
C++, then nobody will get hurt.

Yes, and then ipairs gets argued about. :P

Let them argue, I think nothing much will happen even if the discussion runs to a thousand postings in a week. No problem for me, I will just watch from my armchair (and yawn). :-) There is more than one way to abstract things. Or put in safeguards. I don't think anyone has made coding as safe as coding for aerospace software and yet be greatly productive in churning out code.

I have used many primitive dev tools and so tend not to complain a lot these days considering the richness of the dev tools available. I'm also less interested in perfection in a programming language these days; I do not expect perfection, or to have a programming language to be perfectly suited for my personal tastes and preferences. Would any programming language be perfectly suited for every type and personality of coders? (A magic wand would work though.) If the thing gets the job done, I'm OK.

/s/ Adam

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)