> I have no idea about the issue with make. Which system are you compiling on? I believe Roberto’s makefile in the github lua repository is for Linux?

I copied the Makefile from the lua-5.4.0-work1 distribution and 'make
linux' works after I also copied over luac.c.

That Makefile has production settings: -O2 and -DLUA_USE_LINUX" but
not AFAICS error checking.

I still have to incorporate your TESTS targets, but unfortunately
demands on my social skills are about to be made for the next hour or
two, after which I cannot guarantee that my head will still be clear
enough for work of this kind.