> On 30 Mar 2018, at 9.15, Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I cloned the repository and did "diff -q" against the Lua 5.4.0
> distribution. There is hardly a file that has not been changed.
>
> I then typed "make" and got:
>
> makefile:10: *** recipe commences before first target.  Stop.

The lua-array was forked from https://github.com/lua/lua on Mar 18, 2018 from this Github commit:
6b01b6cf6a1631f7ca2ce527a5c355517095c209

Here is the complete list of changes:
https://github.com/lua/lua/compare/6b01b6cf6a1631f7ca2ce527a5c355517095c209...petrihakkinen:master

Click on the Files Changed tab to see all the details. As you can see, changes to *.c and *.h files are quite small.

I have no idea about the issue with make. Which system are you compiling on? I believe Roberto’s makefile in the github lua repository is for Linux?

The makefile is a slightly changed version of https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/makefile
I enabled optimizations (-O2) and disabled error checking (both the unmodified Lua and patched version were compiled with the same makefile for fair comparison). I also had to remove the -E gcc option because clang choked on that on my macOS.

Try grabbing the makefile from https://github.com/lua/lua/blob/master/makefile and see if the helps, but do note that that makefile has optimizations turned off and extra API and memory checks enabled which cost a lot and skew the benchmark results.

I could try rebasing the lua-array fork on another version of Lua 5.4 if that helps, but it will have to wait until the holidays have passed.

Petri