Hi,

On 18 Mar 2018, at 08:32, Petri Häkkinen <petrih3@gmail.com> wrote:

In my opinion, Lua should either say there are no array semantics, it
is all a map; or provide an array subtype, rather than doing this type
of clever hack which is nonetheless a hack. For the sake of the poor
user.

Anyone willing to step up and write a patch for arrays? I bet it would solve the issues with #, make Lua code clearer about its intent and also give a nice perf boost. As arrays would be a new lang feature, existing code would not be affected at all.

I found the array semantic so far very clean and elegant and use it heavily.

I wonder if I will be stuck using Lua 5.1 forever, … :-)

A good proof of concept and demonstration how it solves the issues might be all that is needed to convince Roberto et all that this is the right way to go ;-)

Heck, this could be the killer feature of 6.0 that would make people stuck in 5.1 to jump aboard.

If not, then at least we could drop this talk about arrays and move on.

Any takers?

Petri

--
 ExactCODE GmbH, Lietzenburger Str. 42, DE-10789 Berlin
 http://exactcode.com | http://exactscan.com | http://ocrkit.com | http://t2-project.org | http://rene.rebe.de