On 18 March 2018 at 14:25, Petri Häkkinen <petrih3@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Anyone willing to step up and write a patch for arrays? I bet it would solve the issues with #, make Lua code clearer about its intent and also give a nice perf boost. As arrays would be a new lang feature, existing code would not be affected at all.
>>
>> A good proof of concept and demonstration how it solves the issues might be all that is needed to convince Roberto et all that this is the right way to go ;-)
>>
>> Heck, this could be the killer feature of 6.0 that would make people stuck in 5.1 to jump aboard.
>>
>> If not, then at least we could drop this talk about arrays and move on.
>>
>> Any takers?
>>
>> Petri
>
> Well, I took a stab at it myself for some Sunday fun. It’s still very much work in progress, but the initial results seem promising.
>
> Code and benchmarks at: https://github.com/petrihakkinen/lua-array

Looks like we posted at the same time.

I see that you have created a new array type. My approach in Ravi is
to create sub types of Table (similar to how Integer sub type of
Number works). Having a separate type does have some advantages - one
can optimize the structure for arrays, for example.

BTW you also need to update all the Lua api functions so that they
work transparently on arrays.

Regards
Dibyendu