Dirk Laurie <dirk.laurie@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 12:18 AM, Erik Hougaard <erik@hougaard.com> wrote:
> >> In 2018 I think the lack of a proper builtin "blessed" packaging system
> >> really hurts Lua. People just want to npm, nuget, pip or gem it.
> >
> > Well, if you already have a list like that, why not another package system? :)
> >
> > (Tho it is a little frustrating that the official Ubuntu/Debian
> > LuaRocks is a bit old)
>
> You can use luarocks to update itself.

I’m not sure how this works in the case of lua and luarocks, but Debian
used to (deliberately) break gem, so that it could *not* update itself. The
whole point of a blessed package manager being, from their point of view,
that they guaranteed things would work (and be secure) for a specific
version, but if the package manager then updates *itself* all bets are off.

In other words, and in my experience, if you are running Debian Stable, you
have chosen stability and security over up-to-date.