On 2018-03-07 06:35 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
On 7 March 2018 at 15:23, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
Not only that, people write code that assumes it runs on LuaJIT and
uses the FFI anyway...
hey, the FFI is the nicest thing of LuaJIT!  in fact, it happens to me
a lot that i start a project in a somewhat modern Lua, and then
appears something that would some C... at that point I have to
consider: is this a "serious thing, where i do care about the users?"
then I use the Lua C API.  if it's a quick and dirty thing, then i
switch to LuaJIT and use the FFI.  (no, i don't consider luaffi)
luaffi is not a serious option, and cannot be; the whole philosophy of
FFI demands a compiler. FFI is what made LuaJIT definitively a fork of
Lua.

-- Roberto

Slightly off-topic but thank you <3 (for saying LuaJIT is a fork of Lua)

(Can we also say "LuaJIT is not Lua"?)