From: Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo
Sent: Friday, March 2, 2018 3:44 AM
To: Lua mailing list
Reply To: Lua mailing list
Subject: Re: Proper attribution on code reuse

> I would like to use this code, and give you proper attribution for it. To
> get that one out of the way: our licenses (MIT vs. Apache-2) should be
> largely compatible, but IANAL.
>
> So, long story short: where would you like your names, and which names?
> I thought about adding the header of lstrlib.c, but since I only used a
> part of it, this might be a little misleading.

You need to add to your sources the full copyright notice of Lua,
which is at the end of lua.h
<http://www.lua.org/source/5.3/lua.h.html> and also at
http://www.lua.org/license.html .

In the License section of your README, mention that "Parts of the code
are Copyright (C) 1994-2017 Lua.org, PUC-Rio under the terms of the
MIT license", with a link as you have done for the Apache License. You
can be more specific about which parts, if you prefer.

In your LICENSE file, you need to include the full copyright notice of
Lua, perhaps prefaced by something like "The pattern matching code
comes from Lua and is licensed under the terms of the MIT license
below".

Finally, for the benefit of those reading your code, I suggest that
you write like this in your source code:

/*
** PATTERN MATCHING adapted from lstrlib.c of Lua 5.3.4
** Copyright (C) 1994-2017 Lua.org, PUC-Rio; see LICENSE
*/

Thanks for your interest in Lua. Good luck with Carp.