I have trouble using Lua C stack, even in C

Say, I have a c function A that uses lua stack, that call another c function B
that also uses c lua stack.  however, B did a lua_settop of 1, then return 1.

Sine both c functions share the same stack, A loses everything except the result of B

It would not be hard to populate the stack again if the values are string, numbers ...
but some stack entries are user data, I don't know how to put it back to stack.

Rework b to restore the stack back before it was called work, but that is a lot of work.
Besides, what happen if I have C, D, E, ... that also mess up the stack ?