On 3 February 2018 at 10:34, Paige DePol <lual@serfnet.org> wrote:
> Why do you find aliases clunky, if I may ask?

They only affect interactive shells. This means that:
  - I can't run them from other places. e.g. os.execute("somealias")
  - `which myalias` doesn't entirely tell the truth
  - Copying a shell session to a shell script for
automation/repeatability isn't a true replication
  - When using other shells/environments they don't work

> What do you use instead?

I rarely need them.
On the rare occasion I need an extra command I write a shell
script/lua script and put it in ~/.local/bin (which is in my PATH)

> I just checked my bash profile and I seems I have 42 defined aliases and
a dozen or so functions in there. Apparently I love aliases! ;)

I apparently have two:

  - alias ls='ls --color=auto'
  - alias rm='rm --one-file-system'