On 29 January 2018 at 09:27, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:
>> Is there a list of the best essential libraries for Lua?
>> I want to bundle a small set of high quality
>> libraries that I will test with Ravi, rather than a huge set of
>> untested libraries of varying quality.
>
> >From the end of 2013 to the end of 2016 I was running a website
> called Lua Toolbox where community members could endorse
> the modules they used. The website has been merged into
> the main LuaRocks website and sadly this feature has been lost
> in the process, but the top 5 modules at the time were:
>
> - luafilesystem
> - luasocket
> - lpeg
> - luarocks
> - luaposix
>
> I think they represent what I would expect in such a distribution
> pretty well. Maybe not LuaRocks given that you want a different
> build system, and maybe winapi as the pendent of luaposix for
> Windows users... Some OpenSSL binding is also a must have.

Thank you. I have been thinking about libuv wrapper (maybe Luvit)
which also overlaps with luafilesystem, luasocket and luaposix too
probably. Of course libuv is quite a big piece and I certainly do not
wish to force async style programming on everyone. Any thoughts on
libuv versus these three? lpeg is a no brainer of course - and
luarocks of course is a more generic package manager system.

Thanks and Regards
Dibyendu