Well, although Lua is _almost_ perfect, the mere existence
of the Lua repository proves that it is not stagnant.

My favourite feature suggestions are:

1. Extend syntax "-l module" command line option to
"-l name=module". I actually run a patched lua5.3
that does it.

2. In a for statement, allow extra conditons before the 'do'.
2a.

for _,item in ipairs(list) if type(item)=='table' do
end

equivalent to

for _,item in ipairs(list) do if type(item)=='table' then
end end

2b.

for _,item in ipairs(list) while type(item)=='table' do
end

equivalent to

for _,item in ipairs(list) do if type(item)~='table' then break end
end

2c.

for _,item in ipairs(list) until type(item)=='table' do
end

equivalent to

for _,item in ipairs(list) do
if type(item)=='table' then break end