I know that some of the folks on this list do not think so as is
evident from the continuous stream of feature requests. But I can't
think of any feature that I would want added to Lua 5.3 that would
justify breaking backward compatibility. There are some things that I
wish were different about Lua - e.g. I wish that variables were local
by default, or that arrays and hash maps were distinct types, but I
would not want such changes if it meant breaking existing code.

It takes good taste and years of effort to create a language such as
Lua. Despite some 'warts' overall Lua 5.3 appears to have reached a
state of perfection (or maturity) in my view.

Regards
Dibyendu