> The problem would be then maintaining LuaRocks with Lua, or like you have done, fork and maintain compatibility yourself.

I didn’t fork LuaRocks. LuaRocks is just a dependency of Luapak. When I wrote that Luapak *embeds* LuaRocks, I meant that Luapak executable built by Luapak includes LuaRocks.
I just reimplemented the builtin build backend, because the original implementation is quite poor and impossible to extend. The rest is about altering configuration variables. LuaRocks doesn’t seem to have some “public API”, so future updates may cause breakages; there’s a quite large API surface Luapak needs to interact with.

> Aside from that, I think I’ll ask if there any „auto update“ feature for LuaRocks so I could deploy it and then the user can update as required?

AFAIK LuaRocks doesn’t have such feature, nor Luapak. It’s a matter of the system’s package manager to update applications.

Jakub