Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo <lhf@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> wrote:

>> In the history of Lua has the language ever been completely re-written
>> from scratch, or has it always just built upon previous versions?
>
> Always just built upon previous versions. The code was reorganized in
> Lua 3.1 and the parser was rewritten from scratch to avoid yacc.
>
> The code for all versions is conveniently available in the lua-all package:
> 	http://www.lua.org/ftp/lua-all.tar.gz

I have only been tinkering with Lua since the 5.x versions, however, I am
tempted to download and take a look at the older versions of Lua and see how
the language has progressed since v1.0!

I know I have probably said this before, but thanks for making Lua an open
source project. I have really enjoyed hacking Lua and have learned quite a
bit by reading the Lua source code. :)

I have always wanted my own programming language, but really didn't know
where to start... Lua was a fantastic launching point for that endeavour!

~Paige