On 28 September 2017 at 22:37, Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
> However, looking at the generated C code made me think ... perhaps it
> is worth trying to write a hand-coded JIT compiler. The thing about
> the generated code is that there is not a lot of stack usage - hence
> register allocation is perhaps somewhat easier (i.e. mostly static
> allocation, with some dynamic allocation). So just for fun and as a
> learning exercise, I am planning to start a new JIT where I will use
> the excellent 'dynasm' product from Mike Pall. Only X86-64 to start
> with. If anyone wants to join in this adventure, you are welcome.

I have started on this. If anyone here has expertise in assembler
(X86-64) and is willing to answer my newbie questions - please let me
know. I am happy to send questions off list to avoid cluttering the
list with questions that are not relevant to this list. Code reviews
of my work will also be very helpful.

Work is happening here:

https://github.com/dibyendumajumdar/ravi/tree/master/vmbuilder

Not much to see right now though.