On 9/26/2017 1:05 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
We have been building the lua source code in our iOS project for
about a year now.  Last week (around Sept. 20th) XCode was updated
and the source code no longer builds.  When compiling loslib.c XCode
generates an error saying system() has been deprecated and is no
longer supported. (system() is called from os_execute) Is there any
plan to correct this issue for iOS? Does anyone have a suggestion as
to how best address this?

See http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2017-09/msg00217.html

Note that this is an iOS problem that no longer can claim to support
standard C or POSIX.

Yep, it would be nice if there is guidance from Apple, but somehow I don't think we'll get system() back.

Between iOS, Android and UWP, it's a great excuse to throw standards like POSIX out of the window. The future is locked-down appliances on the consumer side. The last thing they want is to let you use system(). Developers, now please be obedient and jump through all the hoops that is asked of you*. Look at all the websites switching over to mobile layouts.

To preserve functionality, perhaps some kind of abstraction layer would eventually be more practical.

*Already got bitten myself, the latest XCode didn't like some code I wrote for Scintilla (warns about the use of comma operators) :-/

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)