Yeah, I guess that makes more sense to not include or to make a separate bytecode. (I was a bit tired and forgot the bytecode is undefined in the reference manual)

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017, 1:31 PM Soni L. <fakedme@gmail.com> wrote:

On 2017-09-24 02:35 PM, Charles Heywood wrote:
> I'd rather it not be split in two personally.

Multiple versions, LuaJIT, different implementations, etc.

It makes sense to split source code and bytecode, but bytecode is an
implementation detail and should be registered by each Lua
implementation, *if they want to*. LuaJIT is the only Lua implementation
that treats bytecode as part of the API.

Source code should also accept "versions" rather than "version": you can
write Lua code that runs on all of Lua 5.1 to Lua 5.3, as long as it's
in source form.