On 07/22/2017 05:13 AM, Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
The freebsd target was added in Lua 5.1.2 released in 2007. It has
remained essentially the same since then. At that time we did test it on
arbornet, a free shell service that is no longer available. Currently,
we don't have access to FreeBSD to test it, though. We rely on feedback
from the users of the various platforms. We haven't had a complaint
about FreeBSD and other targets at all.

For the record, does the freebsd target work on other FreeBSD systems?

While Digital Ocean isn't free, it's a very inexpensive option to test build Lua on FreeBSD: https://www.digitalocean.com

It looks like you would need to 'pkg add devel/libedit' then download the Lua53 tarball. Clang is in base so you wouldn't need to installer a compiler.