On 14 July 2017 at 08:54, Aaron B. <aaron@zadzmo.org> wrote:

> While thinking about the future of my current projects, I realized I
> have no idea what the greater state of Lua as a web development
> language looks like.
>
> If anyone is willing to participate, please respond to the below
> questions off list. I'll collate the responses and post the results
> seven days from now.
>

> 1) What framework/toolkit are you currently using? (eg, Orbit, Sailor,
> etc)

None: I don't tend to use web "frameworks" in *any* language.

> 2) What web or application server is used in production?

openresty for now.
lua-http in the near future.

> 3) Which version of Lua?

LuaJIT (so, lua 5.1) because I don't really have a choice in openresty.
However I use lua 5.3 everywhere else.

> 4) On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with the stack? (1 =
> actively looking for a replacement, 5 = It's perfect)

2.

openresty has it's own insular community of incompatible modules,
without a way to interoperate with modules *not* written with
openresty in mind I have no desire to continue using it except as a
simple reverse proxy doing url rewriting.
(Main thing required is a way to wait on my own file descriptors. see
https://github.com/openresty/lua-nginx-module/pull/450)

lua-http solves much of it for me, it just needs a little more
hardening before I want to have it directly facing the internet
e.g. https://github.com/daurnimator/lua-http/issues/64 needs fixing,
or else a http 2 client could cause huge memory usage by the server.

fengari (http://fengari.io/) is an exciting upcoming way to write lua
on the browser side.