On 11 July 2017 at 20:46, Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
> On 1 July 2017 at 00:09, Dibyendu Majumdar <mobile@majumdar.org.uk> wrote:
>> I am thinking about moving to Python in my project where I am
>> currently using Lua as the scripting language. My reason is a
>> pragmatic one - Python is becoming popular in the Financial sector,
>> and is the language most people my project targets will be familiar
>> with. Additionally some of the tools I use - such as Google's GRPC and
>> Protocol Buffers - all support Python.
>>

> Strange though it may sound, I had never bothered to learn Python
> until now. Still early days but so far my thoughts are that maybe both
> Lua and Python have a place in my project. Maybe Lua is the better
> embedded language, but Python is the more versatile scripting
> language. Too early to tell though.

I am reading the Python language reference and am completely
overwhelmed by the complexity - not of the language per se which seems
slightly more complex than Lua - but the meta mechanisms which are too
numerous for me to try and remember them all. Makes me appreciate
Lua's comparative simplicity - there is only one meta mechanism to
understand in Lua - the metatable.

Regards
Dibyendu