It was thus said that the Great Russell Haley once stated:
> Sorry for the top post.
>
> Oh, and twenty indents? The version of Lua I use has a keyword called
> 'function'. And adhering to 80 columns is just silly. It was silly 20
> years ago when I started writing code.

  But where's the cutoff?  I have some XSLT code [1] where some of the lines
are long.  Really long.  Like 250 characters long:

  <xsl:param name="image"><xsl:value-of select="/site/section[@id='About']/subsection[position()=1]/page[position()=1]/@filename"/>.<xsl:value-of select="/site/section[@id='About']/subsection[position()=1]/page[position()=1]/img/@type"/></xsl:param>

(note the two character indent)

  This is, in my opinion, a bit too long (but if broken up, would be a real
mess and would probably mess up the output too much).

  I find 80 to be nice---I can fit several xterms side by side when
programming (on my monitor at work---five side by side).

  -spc (It's not a hard rule wit me, but a guideline I try to follow)

[1]	I was playing around with it about fifteen years ago and decided to
	convert my site [2] to XML, and use XSLT to convert it to HTML (and
	to generate all links between pages and sections)

[2]	http://www.conman.org/