On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 1:33 PM, Pierre Chapuis <catwell@archlinux.us> wrote:

> I think a more interesting target would be the CLR, especially since Microsoft is going Open Source and acquired >Xamarin. I know Fabio Mascarenhas and Roberto worked on something like this in 2008 (there is a paper about it >behind the ACM paywall: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1363686.1363743) but I have no idea if those efforts >have been pursued by anyone.

There is NeoLua (https://github.com/neolithos/neolua). It should be at
least as fast as the Lua interpreter, and might be faster for some
workloads once the DLR caches have warmed up, even if you do not use
its optional typing (it can use optional type annotations like Ravi).

With Truffle the JVM should be a better platform for dynamic
languages. There is a partial Lua implementation
(https://github.com/lucasallan/LuaTruffle) that is complete enough to
run the mandelbrot benchmark as fast as LuaJIT, once it has warmed up.
:-)

LuaVermelha (https://github.com/Leonardo2718/lua-vermelha) is chugging
along, and the best bet if you want an implementation of Lua 5.3 right
now that is faster than the Lua interpreter.

Roberto has a student working on using LLVM as a backend for a tracing
JIT, maybe he will chime in.

--
Fabio Mascarenhas