在 2017/5/15 5:05, Jonathan Goble 写道:
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 3:42 PM Hisham <h@hisham.hm <mailto:h@hisham.hm>> wrote:
>
>     On 14 May 2017 at 16:32, Jonathan Goble <jcgoble3@gmail.com <mailto:jcgoble3@gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM Charles Heywood <vandor2012@gmail.com <mailto:vandor2012@gmail.com>>
>      > wrote:
>      >>
>      >> To be blunt, I think it should fail on XP. XP reached end of the line
>      >> already and is no longer getting security updates, right?
>      >
>      > Correct. XP reached end of life in April 2014, and thus no longer receives
>      > security updates.
>
>     Microsoft (exceptionally?) just released a security patch for XP
>     against the WannaCry ransomware worm:
>
>     https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-security/is-the-patch-for-wannacry-available-for-xp/23be85a8-5410-4ab1-bbd9-938476d840cb
>
>     ...so in a sense that's an admission that it is still a relevant
>     platform in practical terms.
>
>     -- Hisham
>

> I saw that. That's highly, highly unusual, as it's the first update in three years for XP. But you're right that it is basically an admission by Microsoft that XP is still practically relevant despite being officially dead for three years.

they release the patch not because they want to support XP users, but mainly because if an XP machine got
infected by the worm, all other Windows machines in the same network will suffer. so they had to release
the patch for XP system.

so yes, although MS tried very hard to persuade users to abandon XP, in reality there are still enough users
that MS just can't simply ignore them.

--
the nerdy Peng / 书呆彭 /